Sunday, September 28, 2014

YouTube superstars: the generation taking on TV – and winning

http://socialnetworkingnews.org/youtube-superstars-the-generation-taking-on-tv-and-winning/


The moment I realised I was middle-aged came at 4.25pm on a Monday a month or so ago. I was at the BFI on London’s Southbank and had just watched a 15-minute documentary called Becoming YouTube, made by a young film-maker called Benjamin Cook. Cook, who has postbox-red hair and a painful-looking piercing in his lower lip, was now on stage in discussion with four fellow YouTubers, all in their early 20s. I had no idea who they were but I was in a minority of one. Among them, the five have almost 4m registered fans (‘subscribers’ to their YouTube channels) around the world, and millions more are intimately familiar with their work and lives. They came across not quite as rock stars; more like what I imagine would happen if Matt Smith turned up at a Doctor Who convention.


Source: www.theguardian.com


See on Scoop.itsocial networking




http://socialnetworkingnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/0ba8a955-5ed7-4fe0-bf75-8023b92b9e67.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment